Saturday, February 23, 2013

Upper GE Cabinet Installation

The GE metal cabinet with the butcher block top was getting lonely. It was seeking companionship from some of his cabin(et) mates. So this morning I stopped at everyone's favorite big box store, Home Depot, for a sheet of OSB. The room where these cabinets are going is our laundry/storage room that was unfinished when we built our house. I added framing and covered the walls with OSB at the time due to the OSB being relatively inexpensive and the ability to drill into it and hang cabinets without finding the studs. This wall had not been covered with the OSB as I had thought I might add a sink in this area and needed to leave it open for the plumbing.....never mind now. I drove the One Who Must Be Obeyed car and used it like a PU, see below......




I had the store cut it down to the width I needed. Good thing because I would have been in deep doo doo trying to fit it in the car....

Moving on....I got the OSB up after making cuts to fit around the dryer plug and the gas line. Made a pass at cleaning the cabinets and then put them up. Here's the final look....


Fifty years of grease and nicotine still show. I used Simple Green to clean them, but they need several more passes and a lot of elbow grease! Anyone have a suggestion for a better grease cutter?

1 comment:

Uncle Atom said...

They look nice and level. You'll have to experiment with cleaners to cut the grease. I like to use an orange based spray, but sometimes I've had good luck with Goop hand cleaner or even dish washing liquid. Or try a Mr. Clean eraser. Hopefully nothing will harm that original paint.